The laws require foreigners to obtain work permits to legally work in Vietnam. In order to include the foreigners’ remunerations in the reasonable expenditure, the organizations and companies employing such foreigners are responsible for applying for the foreigners’ work permits (or the formalities for the issuance of foreigners’ Vietnam work permit – the formalities for the reissue of foreigners’ work
Who gets the permit for you?
The Department of Labor, Invalid and Society is the only organ who has authority to issue Vietnam work permit for foreigners. A work permit’s validity lasts 36 months. After it comes to an expiry date, foreigner workers need to reapply for a renewal one.
In order to apply for a work permit, you must meet the following requirements:
Over 18 years old and have an adequate health condition to match the demand of the High degree of specialized knowledge, qualification and technology; experienced in management, business and other professions that the domestic labors cannot currently conduct efficiently.
Foreign investors set up a foreign company in Vietnam often bear some of the costs as follows:
1.Cost of photocopy and authentication of legal documents (i.e passport, certificate of incorporation): at least of VND100,000.
2.Cost of registration for setting up foreign company in Vietnam: VND 200,000.
3.Cost of posting up the contents of foreign company being set up in Vietnam: 300,000 VND.
4.Cost of seal: VND400,000.
If foreigners want to work in special jobs in education or health, they are required to meet all requirements of conducting health and education work of the Vietnamese authorities.
Have no criminal record in their living country, Vietnam or other countries; being not under any warrant of arrest or jailing by the Vietnamese or foreign policemen.
Foreigners in Vietnam are required to have a valid work permit, except one of these circumstances:
Working in Vietnam for less than 3 months
In a company’s board of the corporation that created under the regulation of the Vietnamese government.
Head of the representative office or branch of an international company in Vietnam.
Entering and working in Vietnam to resolve the emergent errors or situation that the Vietnamese labors or current foreign workers in Vietnam cannot solve.
Lawyers that are given permission by the Vietnamese Department of Justice.
How to proceed
The process of applying a work permit for foreigners in Vietnam includes 2 main steps:
Step 1: completing the application form and submitting it at the office of Department of Labor, Invalid and Society. The application consists of:
a filled form of applying for the work permit.
Work application or confirmation of work change (by the employers)
The judicial profile issued by the authority of the resident country or the municipal office of Justice in Vietnam (if have lived in Vietnam for more than 6 months)
The autobiographical profile with photo
Health certificate issued in residential country or in Vietnam
Copies of qualifications or professional certificates or confirmation of qualifications by authorized offices
3 color photos (3x4cm) that has been taken within 1 year
Step 2: coming to the submission center and collecting the work permit.
There is a fee for submitting a work permit application.
For new applicants: VND 400,000 ($20)
For re-issued work permits: VND 300,000 ($15)
For renewal work permits: VND 200,000 ($10)
Extending a work permit in Vietnam
It is quite easy to extend a work permit in Vietnam, as long as the applicant is continuing the job for which they were initially granted the permit. If this is the case then the employer must apply for this extension at least 30 days before the existing permit expires. Furthermore, certain conditions must be met in order for an expat to be eligible for extension.
To register work permit for foreign workers in Vietnam, there are some notice as
General provisions of the government on newly granting, renewing work permit but each province will sometimes have their own applying.
- For nationalities of Africa, Middle East, sometimes the registration of work permit will be more difficult than those of European countries, America, and Asia, Oceania.
- The companies under the management of industrial zones must proceed work permit in IZ Management Board of that province and the companies registering to do business outside IZ Management Board have to proceed work permit in Department of Labour of that province.
- The documents issued abroad must be consularly legalized and translated into Vietnamese and notarized.
- Foreigners who have not yet been to Vietnam to work also can be applied to work permit.
- There are circumstances need fully documents, but some cases are exempt from documents under the provisions.
- Sometimes, the records do not have fully documents can be processed by avoiding law violations and applied to work permit
- The foreign workers have been working in Vietnam and applied for work permit in Vietnam companies, can make Certificate of working experience in those companies.
- All documents issued in foreign countries, if possible, should make in English.
- Customers that proceed work permit and use the services of our company should let us compose dossiers and follow the instructions, to avoid remaking because of improper procedure
- The content of the certificate of work experience must be detailed and clear.
Procedures for consularly legalizing documents to apply work permit in Vietnam:
Consularly legalizing foreign documents is that the documents issued by any government or company must be confirmed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that country. Then the Vietnam embassy in that country confirms.
In case there are no representative body of the government of Vietnam in that country, the applicant must go to Vietnam embassy in neighboring countries concurrently to confirm.
We offer the following examples for customers to better understand:
- Judicial Certification to Chinese citizens issued by the Chinese government, the consular legalization of documents is as follows:
Step 1: The applicant brings Judicial Certification to diplomatic office in China to certificate.
Step 2: then, the applicant brings the certificate in step 1 above to Vietnam embassy office in China to confirm once more.
- Certificate of working experience by companies in Taiwan, consular legalization of documents is as follows:
a: The applicant brings Certificate of working experience to diplomatic office in China to certificate.
b: then, the applicant brings the certificate above to Vietnam embassy office in China to confirm once more.
The content of certificate of working experience: